10/18/06

The Ultimate in Freeway Blogging!

Not your typical "Freeway Bloggers"... Think big!

Think BILLBOARD BIG!

Lifted from a dKos diary by DelicateMonster


"A group of religious activists has purchased a giant billboard on the interstate for a massive ad accusing four Connecticut incumbents of voting for torture. The Associated Press reports that the group,  Reclaiming the Prophetic Voice, bought the space to target Senator Joe Lieberman and and GOP Reps. Chris Shays, Nancy Johnson and Rob Simmons. According to the AP piece all four voted for the controversial Military Commissions Act of 2006, which allows the President to "authorize aggressive interrogation methods that might otherwise be seen as illegal by international courts." In other words, torture, as well as the suspension of habeas corpus, of course."



They have a picture of the actual billboard up at the I Wage Peace website, a group that is working with Reclaiming the Prophetic Voice to get this message out, if you want to see it.

3 comments:

fuzzyturtle said...

I can't tell you how angry/depressed/generally pissed off I was yesterday when I read "Bush Signs Bill on Terror Prosecution" on the NYT.

I'm not a churchgoing type.. but these people give me hope for the future. God/Allah/Buddah/insert diety here bless them!

I'm going to bore you with an ancedote:
"The famous anthropologist Margaret Mead, was apparently once asked this question: “What was the earliest sign of civilization in any given culture?” The person asking the question expected the answer to be a clay pot or perhaps a fish hook or grinding stone, some practical, tangible piece of evidence of a progressive and self-sufficient society.

Mead’s answer however, was “a healed femur”. The femur, of course, is one of our large leg bones. Mead explained that no healed femurs are found where the law of the jungle, or survival of the fittest, reigns. A healed femur shows that someone cared. Someone had to do that injured persons’ hunting and gathering until the leg healed.

The evidence of compassion, she said, is the first sign of civilization."

I guess this bill marks the END of civilization in the US. And Nancy Johnson may as well be Pte Lynndie England.

Connecticut Man1 said...

The evidence of compassion, she said, is the first sign of civilization.

Margaret Mead is obviously a very wise person... And so are you if you believe Mead's statement. :)

I guess this bill marks the END of civilization in the US. And Nancy Johnson may as well be Pte Lynndie England.

Two things about Private England:

1) She was following orders from higher-ups since it is obvious from correspondence coming down from the Pentagon (Rummy the dummies office) and position papers from "Abu Gonzales" that this was what the Bush mis-administration wanted. They wanted the torture.

2) The fact that she was following orders does not absolve her of her personal responsibility for following UNLAWFUL orders.

Given England's job (a low ranking nobody) compared to the powerful positions of the people and offices where the orders all come from (Generals, Colonels, politicians, etc.) she is less to blame for the torture.

She is not blameless, but certainly not in a position to shoulder the bulk of the blame.

fuzzyturtle said...

this is true, about England.. but she's really a poster child for the system gone wrong. You see one of those horrific photos, any people IMMEDIATELY assiciate it with the US military...and Abu Graib.


And how caught up in the madness must you be to lose your moral compass, unless you didn't have one to begin with?

I like to think I would never do that .. I hope I don't have it in me. But then, I've also been told that if I were in the military I'd never make it past boot camp (I was told this by career marines). Which is okay, camoflague does not suit me, brown/tan/khaki are not my colors

:)