For those of you that are unfamiliar with Lieberman's self-propelled decent to this hellish low, please adjust your internal thermostat in order to keep your cool as you read because, in reality, this is not simply a chronicle of the betrayal of progressives, and the left in general, but of Joseph I. Lieberman's betrayal of America and some of the most basic principles she was founded upon.
“I’m a Democrat with a 35-year record of fighting for progressive causes, for the middle class, for civil rights, for women’s rights, for human rights and a lot more. I voted with my Senate Democratic colleagues 90 percent of the time.” — Joe Lieberman, 7/6/06
“I want Democrats to be back in the majority in Washington and elect a Democratic president in 2008.” — Joe Lieberman, 7/7/06While Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT) has fought for progressive policies in the past — such as protecting the environment and expanding civil rights — his recent record demonstrates that he’s a progressive no more. As this report documents, Lieberman has embraced the right wing on far more than foreign policy. In fact, he has betrayed progressive principles on a variety of domestic issues. As he has lurched to the right, Lieberman has actively worked to undermine the progressive agenda.
– On Leading The Homeland Security Committee: ‘We Don’t Like Investigating.’
– On Energy: Drill Baby, Drill
– On Taxes: ‘I Think It’s Wrong To Raise Any Taxes Now’
– On Health Care: Supported McCain’s Tax On Employer Health Care
– On Social Security: ‘Individual Control…Has To Happen.’
– On Alberto Gonzales: He ‘Deserves Our Appreciation’
– On The Christian-Right: Defended Pastor Hagee
– Campaigned Against Progressive Candidates
Read the entire piece here...