The Weather Channel is predicting 48 degrees for Saturday, and the National Weather Service is saying 50 degrees!! No rain, no winds ... the weather should be great for the Jan. 27th mobilization.
We'll be gathering on the National Mall for the pre-march rally from 11 am to 1 pm. Because there might be some precipitation in Washington, DC, before Saturday, there is a possibility that the Mall could be a little muddy. With that in mind, we suggest you wear boots, or at least bring an extra pair of socks.
It's terrific that the weather will be good, but we'll be raising a storm of protest on Saturday. In addition to the massive numbers of people coming from literally every corner of the country, here are some of the folks who will be speaking at the rally:
- Mayor Rocky Anderson, Salt Lake City
- Moriah Arnold, 12-year-old sixth-grader from Harvard, MA
- Carlos Arredondo, Gold Star Families for Peace
- Medea Benjamin, founder of CodePink
- Leslie Cagan, National Coordinator, United for Peace and Justice
- Eve Ensler, playwright
- Jane Fonda, actress, author
- Kim Gandy, President of the National Organization for Women
- Danny Glover, actor/activist
- Reverend Graylon Hagler, Plymouth Congregational Church, Washington, DC
- Reverend Jesse Jackson, RainbowPUSH Coalition
- Jonathon Hutto, active-duty member of the U.S. Navy
- Representative Dennis Kucinich (D-OH)
- Rabbi Michael Lerner, Tikkun Magazine
- Kevin Martin, Executive Director, Peace Action
- Tim Robbins, actor/activist
- Susan Sarandon, actor/activist
- Bob Watada, father of Lt. Ehren Watada, first officer to refuse deployment to Iraq
- Representative Maxine Waters (D-CA)
- Representative Lynn Woolsey (D-CA)
- Ann Wright, retired Army Colonel, former State Dept. diplomat
What You Should Bring to Washington
- Signs and banners -- and be sure to include your city or organization
- Noise-makers -- let's be loud!
- Copies of the petition to Congress signed by people who can't make the trip.
- White roses to leave as part of a memorial we'll be creating.
- Shoes, especially children's shoes, for the CodePink "Walk in Their Shoes" Installation
There are other activities throughout the weekend -- including our Congressional Lobby Day on Monday -- so if you can stay in town that would be wonderful!
See you on the streets of Washington as we send our message to Congress: It's time to end the war in Iraq and bring the troops home!!
I wish I could go! But I can't... :(