11/13/06

Wal-Mart selling Nazi SS skull t-shirts


Apparently Wal-Mart uses the GOP method of paying lipservice through PR campaigns while doing nothing to fix the actual problem.
Bent Corner » Wal-Mart is still selling Nazi SS skull t-shirts:

"The New York Times published an article about Wal-Mart and bloggers. In it they mention Marshall Manson quite frequently. It's an interesting read.

Marshall Manson asked me if I would post an update to my original post about Wal-Mart and the Nazi shirts. Something about how quickly they responded to the problem once they realized they were selling Nazi swag. I would have no problem doing that. If I felt they had indeed acted upon the information that they were selling Nazi clothing. The problem is that they haven't done anything about the Nazi shirts. Yesterday afternoon I stopped at a Wal-Mart on my way home for work and found a stack of the same shirts still for sale in the men's department. My wife also stopped at a different Wal-Mart on her way home from work yesterday. She too found a stack of these Nazi shirts still for sale.

In my opinion, quickly taking care of a problem involves actually taking care of the problem.

Instead of having someone from a PR firm contact bloggers, Wal-Mart should have concentrated on simply removing the shirts from their stores. They could have worried about contacting bloggers after their stores were free of Nazi clothing."


As if I didn't need one more reason not to shop at Wal-Mart... This is just creepy.

3 comments:

Fuzzy Turtle said...

DAMN. Maybe they thought the swastika was actually the Aztec sun god symbol?

okay maybe not..

damn.

Yet another reason to avoid WalMart.

Connecticut Man 1 said...

If you click through the link to the story it should lead you to a photo of the t-shirt. It is actually a skull and crossbones type image... But not the pirate kind.

This really is kindof creepy. I wonder who owns the company that makes the t-shirts?

Fuzzy Turtle said...

I saw the shirts on eBay (the link from the Bent Corner site). That is so twisted. I doubt the company that makes them even cares, they just figure its a money maker. And of course, the shirts are probably made in Asian sweatshops by children earning 2c a day.

I love the followup post, with the letter from the WalMart executive. Pathatic. Damn, I hate that store and everything it stands for.